Learn how to train and sharpen your eyes to recognize specific typographic details which will be sure to guide you in your own projects.
About The Book
Typography is a very powerful design element. Whenever we have a typographic system in place, we can use it to structure content, communicate ideas and even enhance meaning. However, employing it in a way that masters that delicate balance between being unobtrusive (catering for a pleasant reading experience) and engaging enough (keeping the reader’s interest on a page) can be quite a challenge.
With the help of this eBook, you can learn how to train and sharpen your eyes to recognize specific typographic details which will be sure to guide you in your own projects and make it easier for you to make design decisions. After an initial stroll through type terminology and classification, this eBook reflects on the quality of fonts (including web font providers, of course) and explores typographic design patterns as well as current practices. These practical considerations and a plethora of real-world examples are bound to be a valuable companion throughout your adventures when designing with type.
Table of Contents
- Understanding The Difference Between Type And Lettering —
- Making Sense Of Type Classification, Part 1 —
- Making Sense Of Type Classification, Part 2 —
- A Critical Approach To Typefaces —
- Taking A Second Look At Free Fonts —
- Dear Web Font Providers —
- Typographic Design Patterns And Current Practices (2013 Edition) —
- Creating Exciting And Unusual Visual Hierarchies —
- Type Makes A Difference: An Exploration Of Type-Focused Websites —
- Formats: ePUB, Kindle, PDF (DRM-free)
- Pages: 141
- Language: English
- Released: June 2014
- Publisher: Smashing Media AG
- ISBN (PDF): 978-3-94454076-4